The Instrument of Addiction

After reading and discussing James Baldwin's “Sonny’s Blues,” I found myself exploring the details of the story, particularly its powerful performance scene as an ending. What was so moving for me was the fact that it was both something I didn’t expect, and pertaining to so much more than just a simple jazz performance. Right from the beginning of the story, we are thrown into the narrator’s discovery of his brother Sonny’s arrest and the fact that he discovered such news through a newspaper. With such an intense beginning, I felt that there was much to be anticipated and a lot of room for a continuation of these impactful events. Instead of ending with something matching the action and intensity of the imprisonment of Sonny, Baldwin chooses to take a more reflective path, detailing Sonny’s life in the form of his musical performance at the nightclub.


Upon my first reading of the ending scene, I was able to grasp some of the surface level themes such as the conflict between the narrator and his brother, the struggle of performing while sober, and the idea of the narrator finally crossing into “Sonny’s world” by watching his piano playing in the nightclub. After discussing it in class and reading it a second time, I began to envision the ending scene not only as a musical performance, but as a metaphor for Sonny’s life and drug addiction. Initially, the narrator exhibits an array of emotions including anxiety and fear about his brother’s performance. These same moods were portrayed in the earlier story when the narrator is worried about his brother’s financial situation, future, and general wellbeing (with specific respect to his drug use). Both times, the narrator feels responsible and protective for his brother’s outcome and fears for the worst. The scene further escalates when Sonny’s discomfort is apparent “His face was troubled, he was working hard, but he wasn’t with it.” His brothers situation seems to be heading downhill and mirrors Sonny’s gradual drug addiction and eventual arrest.


The narrator then mentions his own observation about the relationship between the musician and his instrument. When I first read this I took this as a purely musical relationship (which was profound in itself) but then I considered that maybe Baldwin was hinting at something much deeper: Sonny’s dependence on heroin. The narrator describes the relationship between the player and the instrument as an awful one, one that requires the breath of one’s own life in order to reach fulfillment. In a sense, the same goes for a drug and its user. In order for the drug to take full force, the user must surrender themselves to its effects and risk their own well being to satisfy the hunger inside them. The narrator ends the comparison with “While there’s only so much you can do with it, the only way to find this out is to try; to try and make it do everything.” By allowing the heroin to take over his life, Sonny is letting it “do everything” and fulfilling his own part of the twisted relationship. Of course, this is just my own interpretation of Baldwin's portrayal of the scene, and could be in fact completely contradictory to Baldwin's own intentions, but the connection between the performance and Sonny’s life and drug use is certainly apparent.

Comments

  1. I really liked this short story and think it is beautifully written, especially the description of Sonny's performance. I too think that the performance can be connected to Sonny's life and his history with drugs. It's also an important scene because the narrator is there to listen and watch Sonny play. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! This is my favorite story so far and I think the way Baldwin shows instead of telling is really moving. Moreover, he tells for like the first three quarters of the novel while the final scene is all imagery and emotion and seems to be an exhibition of the narrator finally opening up to Sonny. Though Sonny is the character we're expecting to see change, I think the more pivotal shift is when the narrator starts to see his brother as a human with something to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially found the ending scene to be more powerful when we read it aloud in class. Out-loud reading allowed for the words to swell, eb, and flow just like I assume Sonny's performance had if we were there listening to it. You create a good analogy and argument for the music to be an analog to Sonny's struggle. I also read it this way, and my beliefs were cemented in class discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that this scene was very important in terms of both Sonny's and the narrator's development. Through this performance, Sonny is able to explain all of his struggles and emotions to his brother, which he was unable to do in their earlier conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a well-written post! I definitely felt nervous, like the narrator, right before Sonny's performance. He hasn't played for a year, and like you said, he hasn't taken drugs beforehand. But once he starts playing, all of that melts away and it's just a really beautiful passage to read and experience. I loved that music was eventually the method by which Sonny and his brother were able to communicate and understand each other—not just words alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's interesting, when I was looking at the metaphors I wasn't really thinking about this drug interpretation, I was simply admiring the scene for what it was. However, I do see what you're talking about with this connection. I suppose the extended metaphor in this scene does a lot more when looked deeply at than it does on the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this post, and you offer a lot of strong connections that I hadn't thought through before. Comparing an instrument and a drug feels very realistic, and the conversation between the narrator and Sonny's former friend came to mind when I was reading that part of your post. The way Sonny's former friend explained talking to Sonny about heroin, summing the feeling into "it felt great," mimics the way a lot of musicians talk about how the demands of their work are worth it for the euphoria of performing and communicating through their instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo I like your explication here. While I definitely understood that the performance is a metaphor for Sonny's drug addiction, I'd never thought of the interaction on stage to be alluding to heroin dependence. Whenever I think about this scene my mind jumps back to Sonny's old friend saying how heroin "feels amazing" (or whatever adjective he used), and the narrator was finally able to understand this and why Sonny enjoys the drug through watching the powerfulness and liveliness of the jazz performance. I really liked this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Music and addiction are clearly very important themes throughout this story. In the last paragraph
    of blog post you did a very good job in finding a connection between the 2 major themes. After hearing Mr. Mitchell reading the music portion in class and reading other comments I definitely see how the descriptive nature may have an to do with the intense emotions that are associated with drug use. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought a similar thing about the last scene being some kind of representation for Sonny's struggle with drugs and music. The first part he stumbles and falls into the drug world and at the end he triumphs and comes out of his addiction. I thought that music as a drug almost was a very interesting way to portray Sonny's relationship with jazz.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts